The nightly Platform Maintenance stored procedure for Microsoft SQL Server has been updated from the older INDEX DEFRAG script to a new INDEX REBUILD script. These are the parameters that can be tailored for each individual environment. Please consult with a SQL Server DBA to tune these settings for optimum impact in your environment.
- reorg_frag_thresh – The percentage threshold at which to reorganize indexes.
- rebuild_frag_thresh – The percentage threshold at which to switch from reorganizing to rebuilding.
- fill_factor – The percentage of space on each leaf-level page to be filled with data.
- page_count_thresh – The number of pages the current table uses.
- rebuild_online – Rebuild the indexes online so that other processes are able to access the table while the rebuild is occurring.
- compute_statistics – Compute statistics on the tables or not.
- report_only – If set to true, do not actually do the build, just report what the status of the indexes/stats/tables are.
- MinutesToRun – How many minutes to run, where 0 means run until complete. This can be set to a limit, like 60, so the process would stop after 1 hour. On the next run, it will pick up where it left off.