Improvements in IBM TRIRIGA Performance
By Rick Rhea & Jay Manaloto
What has the IBM TRIRIGA performance team been up to? Over the last few years and last few releases, our performance team has focused on areas that aren’t normally covered by our standard benchmark tests, and on tools that can help customers to resolve performance issues on their own. If you’re interested, here are a few of our recent improvements in lease and platform performance.
- Lease Benchmark Testing: Not only are database server and process server resources especially important, but using multiple process servers improves performance.
- New Recommended Indexes: Several additional indexes were identified and added to the best practices to obtain the best response times and resource utilization of the database server.
- Lease Journal Entries: By redesigning journal entry processing with parallel and batch processing, and multiple process servers, our test results took only about 2.5 hours instead of over 90 hours.
- Platform Enhancements: Dynamic workflows can now pass and return parameters, the Query task can now return the number of records instead of the actual records, and the Trigger Action task can now run the asynchronous event that occurs after the transition by a user other than the currently logged-in user.
- BIRT Reporting & Lease Disclosure Reports: In Version 3.6.1, the reporting was modified to improve running on a separate BIRT server, and to avoid the problematic “params.displayText”.
- Performance Analyzer Tool: In Version 3.5.3, this tool was introduced to allow a customer to run specific logging types without using the Admin Console, and to view easy-to-read reports.
- Module Level Associations, Early Adopter Feature: In Version 3.7.0, the platform was enhanced to support Module Level Associations (MLA) tables where the records in the IBS_SPEC_ASSIGNMENTS table are distributed into smaller tables that are created by module type.
By applying the above finding and tools, our recent IBM TRIRIGA 10.7.0 / 3.7.0 release has demonstrated a significant improvement in performance over previous releases. But we’re not done yet! Our performance team will continue to dig deeper into weaker areas or potential opportunities to make our products stronger or faster. So stay tuned for any upcoming developments!
Note: For future releases, “Module Level Assignments” will be renamed “Module Level Associations”.
[Admin: This post is related to the 07.27.17 post about the Performance Analyzer. To see other related posts, use the Performance tag.]
We are working on CAD integrator (for AutoCAD) and we are wondering if it is possible to generate labels for spaces (based on label style) on different layers of the floor plan. For example, displaying the name and area on triLabelLayer and space class on triClassLayer. Actually, it seems that all the labels are created on the triLabelLayer. Is it possible to customize to allow multiple layers for labels?
I reviewed this with the developer. It would be a request for enhancement (RFE).
[Admin: To see other related posts, use the Integrator tag.]
Regarding the IBM TRIRIGA CAD Integrator plugin for AutoCAD, is it possible to customize the menu? Such as changing the name or hiding some menu item? If yes, do you know which files have to be changed?
I reviewed this with the developer. It would be a request for enhancement (RFE).
[Admin: This post is related to the 06.22.16 post about adding a menu item to CAD Integrator. To see other related posts, use the Integrator tag.]
By default, the “Company|Project” toggle switcher allows switching to a capital project. Is it possible to switch to a facility project?
No. The facility project was not created with the same structure as the capital project. So the silo behavior that is associated to the capital project is not provided for facility project. But it would be possible to create a custom solution to do so. Or if you would like to see this sort of behavior in the as-shipped application, you might enter an RFE to request that enhancement.
[Admin: This post is related to the 02.13.17 post about project context. To see other related posts, use the Project Context tag or “capital project” search phrase.]
Is there a way to clear server caches without logging into the Admin Console?
Beginning in IBM TRIRIGA Platform 3.5.1, TRIRIGA delivered an enhancement for this to be done via workflow. The pertinent release notes can be found from this wiki page. Here is an excerpt from the release notes on the topic:
A custom task class has been added for workflow which triggers a global cache clear across all servers.
You can create a custom task and specify the following in the class field: com.tririga.platform.admin.cache.web.CacheProcessingCustomTask $RefreshAllCache
The custom task will perform a global cache clear on the server where the workflow runs as if it were triggered from that server’s Administrator Console. (Tri-211723)
[Admin: To see other related posts, use the Admin Console tag or Cache tag.]
If a person mistakenly adds a floor drawing to an incorrect floor, there is no method of using IBM TRIRIGA tools (TRIRIGA itself or CAD Integrator) to actually remove the graphic from the floor record.
A request for enhancement (RFE ID 109781) has been created to address this issue. I respectfully request that you vote for this RFE if you would like to see the CAD Integrator product have the ability to remove the graphic from the floor record. If you do not currently have an IBM ID, you can sign up for one at no cost.
[Admin: This post is related to the 12.13.16 post about deleting or unpublishing a floor plan. To see other related posts, use the RFE tag or Integrator tag.]
In the IBM TRIRIGA 3.5.3 and 10.5.3 release, the Group object was redesigned to leverage query sections, instead of a single large smart section. The query sections improve the performance and usability of the Members tab by paginating the results, and providing filtering capabilities. These application changes are a part of the IBM TRIRIGA 10.5.3 application upgrade object migration (OM) package, but can be applied to systems running older application versions.
To help anyone who would like to apply the Group enhancements to an environment not running 10.5.3, the Group_Query_Enhancement_10.5.3.zip can be downloaded from this wiki. This is an unsupported object migration (OM) package that includes the Group form, queries, and workflows that were created to enhance the application. This OM package can be imported into an environment running on the 3.5.3 platform release.
Note: This enhancement requires the 3.5.3 platform release for the “Add” and “Delete” functions to work within the query section. There are new custom tasks that are called by workflows that handle the adding and removing of group member records, when users or groups are selected. Before applying this OM to a production system, the OM package should be tested in a test or development environment first.
[Admin: This post is related to the 03.07.16 post about best practices for managing your security groups. To see other related posts, use the Security tag.]
Let’s review the six major enhancements for advanced lease accounting…
- 1. Period end close capabilities. TRIRIGA 10.5.3 delivers “Advanced Lease Accounting Period Close” which ensures that no additional journal entries can be posted for that closed period…
- 2. Enhanced segregation of duties. With IBM TRIRIGA 10.5.3, the roles and responsibilities of Lease Accountant and Lease Administrator have been clearly delineated…
- 3. Streamlined modification processing. A revised process for recording lease modifications has been introduced in this version which supports FASB/IFRS compliance and creates a single process flow for all modifications…
- 4. Disclosure requirements templates (quantitative metrics). IBM TRIRIGA 10.5.3 comes pre-loaded with a variety of OOB report templates which support FASB/IASB lease accounting compliance…
- 5. Journal Entry Configuration Framework. With capabilities to generate Journal Entries for ASC 840 and ASC 842 under US-GAAP, as well as for IAS 17 and IFRS 16, IBM TRIRIGA 10.5.3 practically transforms the Real Estate Manager module into a sub-ledger system for Real Estate and Asset Lease Accounting…
- 6. Simplified ERP Integration (Data Transfer Object). IBM TRIRIGA 10.5.3 simplifies the process of transferring the lease accounting data into your ERP system by creating a Data Transfer Object (DTO) file that loads into the ERP General Ledger…
[Admin: To see other related posts, use the ValuD tag.]
This wiki lists our lease accounting videos. The IBM TRIRIGA Lease Accounting team presents the key features and enhancements of our lease accounting tools from 10.5.0 through 10.5.3.1, including partial payments, FASB/IASB setup, ASC 840/842, GAAP/IFRS leases, and index adjustments.
[Admin: This post is related to the 02.22.16 post and 09.29.14 post about finding information on TRIRIGA lease accounting. To see other related posts, use the Leases tag or Accounting tag.]